Historical Dixie County Places

City of Hawkinsville Steamboat

was a paddle steamer constructed in Georgia in 1886. Sold in 1900 to a Tampa, Florida company, it delivered cargo and lumber along the Suwannee River. Eventually rendered obsolete by the advent of railroads in the region, it was abandoned in the middle of the Suwannee in 1922.

It became the third Florida Underwater Archaeological Preserve when it opened to the public in 1992. This was followed on May 31, 2001 by its addition to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places as City of Hawkinsville (shipwreck). It is located in Dixie County, 100 yards south of the Old Town railroad trestle (which is part of the Nature Coast State Trail).

lline
Old Town Elementary School, now the Dixie County Cultural Center

The former Old Town Elementary School is an historic two-story, four-classroom school building in Old Town, Dixie County, Florida. Built in 1909-1910 of bricks fired on site, it is the oldest public building in Dixie County. In 1930 the auditorium was built by George Levingston. In 1999, it was replaced by a new school. Today it is operated by the Dixie County Historical Society as the Dixie County Cultural Center, with space for its office, a local history museum and a library.

In 1989, the school complex was listed in A Guide to Florida's Historic Architecture, published by the University of Florida Press.

line
Old Town Methodist Church

built in 1890 located behind the 1983 church building.

The original Old Town Methodist Church, built in 1890, is an historic wooden Methodist church building now situated behind the Old Town United Methodist Church built in 1983 a short distance west of the intersection of U.S. 19 and Road 349 in Old Town, Florida. Built by Ed Hill and Charlie Hill at another location in Old Town, it has been moved several times before reaching its present site. In the 1980s, it was used as an annex to the new building. Today it serves as the Fellowship Hall.

In 1989, the 1890 church building was listed in A Guide to Florida's Historic Architecture, published by the University of Florida Press.

Old Town United Methodist Church is still an active congregation. The Rev. Carl F. Rainear is its pastor.

In 1989, the school complex was listed in A Guide to Florida's Historic Architecture, published by the University of Florida Press.

line
Putnam Lodge

 in Cross City, Florida built by the Putnam Lumber Company for its nearby lumber town of Shamrock

Putnam Lodge is a historic hotel built in 1927 in Dixie County, Florida. Depending on the source it is located in Shamrock, Florida or adjacent Cross City, Florida. It was built in the company town developed around Putnam Lumber Company's operations in Shamrock. The hotel was renovated for a 2014 reopening after being closed for many years.

Putnam Lodge features a lobby with hand-stenciled pecky cypress columns and heart pine floors as well as a new spa added by the Tampa-based entrepreneurs who restored and revamped the lodge. It sits on 18 acres of land.

The hotel was built across from the mill and main commissary in Shamrock to welcome the growing number of tourists visiting Florida. A dairy and ice plant were also built. The hotel was noted in restaurant guide Duncan Hines put out in 1938.

A 1931 report ona visit to the lumber company plant and lodge was reported in the Southern Lumberman. Wayne B. Wetherington wrote about his family's stake in the lodge in his memoir.

line
The Garden Patch Archeological Site

is a historic site near Horseshoe Beach, Florida. It is located near Horseshoe Beach, off County Road 351. On April 25, 1991, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Address Restricted

line

Back to Dixie County Links Page

Help Us

We are looking for historical photos, articles, documents, letters, etc., related to Dixie county or any of the towns within the county. Please use the contact info to reach us. Thank you!
Dixie County Historical Society
761 SE Highway 349
Old Town, FL  32680
Phone: (352) 542-0047
E-mail: Contact Us!