Historical Dixie County Markers

reference: Florida Division of Historical Resources
fletcher marker
FLETCHER COMMUNITY (location map)

Location:Hwy. 349 Between Pinecrest Dr. and Senco Mertz Rd.

County: Dixie

City: Old Town

Inscription

The Fletcher Community was established when Dixie County was part of Lafayette County and both were part of their parent county, Madison. In the early 1850s Fletcher families and other families emigrated south from the Carolinas through Georgia, bringing their livestock and looking for better pastures. Other families followed including the Edmond, Bell, Boatright, Gronto, Hatch, Matthis, Jones, Sauls and Ward families. They used the Suwannee River to move cotton and farm produce by steamboats to the railroad at Cedar Key. Most settlers of the Methodist faith attended services at Pleasant Grove Church, established by Rev. John A. Fletcher (1811-1858). This church is now gone but the Pleasant Grove and Ward Cemeteries are reminders of the Fletcher Community’s settlers. William Rete Fletcher served as Madison County’s Justice of the Peace 1847-1849 and Clerk of Court of Lafayette County 1856-1858. U.S. Postal records show Matilda J. Jones Fletcher as the community’s first Postmaster. Eborn Haywood Sauls, William R. Fletcher, and Mittie (Matilda) Fletcher were later Postmasters.

Directions

29° 44.216' N, 82° 59.088' W. Marker is near Old Town, Florida, in Dixie County. Marker is on State Road 349 0.6 miles north of Pine Crest Drive, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in front of the First District Community Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9223 NE Highway 349, Old Town FL 32680, United States of America.

Sponsors: DIXIE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, DIXIE COUNTY BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE

line
fort duval marker
FORT DUVAL AND THE SUWANNEE RIVER (location map)

Location:23465 SE 349 Hwy

County: Dixie

City: Old Town

Inscription

Captain Francis Langhorne Dade, U.S. Army and his 120-man Companies A,B,D,H and N, built Fort Duval in November 1826 at the mouth of the Suwannee River. The structure was 140 by 130 feet and six feet high with portholes for firing. The fort was named for territorial governor William Pope Duval. Fort Duval was built to guard the mouth of the Suwannee River. Indians used the river for many years, traveling to Cuba, the Bahama Islands and other places to trade and purchase goods. William Bartram witnessed this in his travels in 1774 while visiting the Indians up river from its mouth. In April 1818, General Andrew Jackson used the river to transport his wounded back to St. Marks after his Battle for Billy Bowleg’s Old Town, located on the Suwannee River. Fort Duval was destroyed by May 15, 1841. At that time, Capt. Cambell Graham wrote of Lt. Palmer’s survey of the mouth of the Suwannee River in search of the remains of Fort Duval. Time and tide have destroyed all traces of Fort Duval. The Suwannee River now carries fishing enthusiasts and sportsmen.

Directions

29° 19.624' N, 83° 9.023' W. Marker is in Suwannee, Florida, in Dixie County. Marker can be reached from County Route 349 just east of Canal Street(Southeast 199th Street). To reach the marker you must turn left down a driveway just before reaching Canal Street(SE 199th Street). Marker is at or near this postal address: 23465 SE 349 Hwy, Suwannee FL 32692, United States of America.

Sponsors: DIXIE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, THE SUWANNEE RIVER CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE

line
Old Town School
OLD TOWN SCHOOL (location map)

Location:SE County Road 349, and St. Co. Rd. 55A Dixie County Cultural Center

County: Dixie

City: Old Town

Inscription

On April 1, 1899, Orren Y. Felton and his wife, Lillie F. Felton, gave deed to the Board of Public Instruction for Old Town School. On May 23, 1911, Ruby E. Chaires and her husband McQueen Chaires gave additional deed to the Board of Public Instruction for School. The present two story, four-classroom building was constructed in 1909—two classrooms upstairs and two downstairs. From home schooling to one-room schoolhouses to neighborhood schools, the schools of the Old Town era were built. The auditorium was added in 1930. Children continually attended classes in this building until 1999. This historic, two and one-half story building was constructed of locally made bricks which were “fired” on site. All rafters are of the exposed “Italian eight design.” The top half floor contains a two-louver door dormer. The dormer and high windows were the only means of ventilation. The Dixie County Historical Society uses this building, now known as the Dixie County Cultural Center, as an office, museum of local artifacts, and library.

Location

29° 35.438' N, 82° 58.866' W. Marker is in Old Town, Florida, in Dixie County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 55A and County Route 349, on the right when traveling east on County Route 55A. Marker is at or near this postal address: 761 SE CR 349, Old Town FL 32680, United States of America.

Sponsors: DIXIE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE

line
oldtown marker
OLDTOWN (location map)

Location:Near intersection of C.R. 55 and S.R. 349

County: Dixie

City: Old Town

Inscription

Inhabited by the Upper Creeks, Old Town, often called Suwanee Old Town, was one of the largest Indian villages in northern Florida. In Andrew Jackson's punitive expedition into Florida in April, 1818, Old Town was captured. Most of the renegade Indians escaped, but Jackson caught Robert Armbister, a British subject, who was tried and executed for aiding the Creeks in border raids into Georgia. This produced tension between the United States and Great Britain.

Directions

29° 36.111' N, 82° 58.977' W. Marker is in Old Town, Florida, in Dixie County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 19 and State Road 349, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 19. Marker is in this post office area: Old Town FL 32680, United States of America.

putnam lodge marker
PUTNAM LODGE (location map)

Location:15487 NW 19 Hwy

County: Dixie

City: Shamrock

Inscription

Putnam Lodge, built in 1927-28 by the Putnam Lumber Company, is part of a bygone era in Florida's forestry history. Here, beside the old Dixie Highway, Putnam Lodge, part of the "company town" of Shamrock, accommodated tourists, transients and company executives and clients. The lobby and the dining room of the 36-room lodge were decorated exclusively with the still preserved, artfully stenciled "pecky cypress," a now virtually extinct lumber product. In its day, the Putnam Lumber Company, founded by William O'Brien, a timber magnate of Irish descent, and associates including E. B. Putnam, employed hundreds at its two state-of-the-art sawmills in Shamrock. The mills annually produced and shipped worldwide millions of feet of "deep swamp tidewater cypress" and "dense Florida longleaf yellow pine" lumber, products that are now rare because the old growth trees are gone. Shamrock provided its residents and employees with comfortable homes, a commissary, a store comparable to "any city department store," two schools, two hotels, the Shamrock Dairy Farm, and an ice plant producing 18 tons of ice daily. The lodge is representative of a time of local timber supremacy and economic prosperity.

Description

Putnam Lodge is a historic hotel built in 1927 in Dixie County, Florida. Depending on the source it is located in Shamrock, Florida or adjacent Cross City, Florida. It was built in the company town developed around Putnam Lumber Company's operations in Shamrock. The hotel was renovated for a 2014 reopening after being closed for many years. Putnam Lodge features a lobby with hand-stenciled pecky cypress columns and heart pine floors as well as a new spa added by the Tampa-based entrepreneurs who restored and revamped the lodge. It sits on 18 acres of land. The hotel was built across from the mill and main commissary in Shamrock to welcome the growing number of tourists visiting Florida. A dairy and ice plant were also built. The hotel was noted in restaurant guide Duncan Hines put out in 1938. A 1931 report on a visit to the lumber company plant and lodge was reported in the Southern Lumberman.[6] Wayne B. Wetherington wrote about his family's stake in the lodge in his memoir.

Location

29° 38.438' N, 83° 8.511' W. Marker is in Cross CIty, Florida, in Dixie County. Marker is on U.S. 19 0.1 miles west of Northeast 223rd Avenue (County Road 351A), on the right when traveling north. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15487 Northwest Highway 19, Cross City FL 32628, United States of America.

Sponsors: THE SOCIETY OF AMERICAN FORESTERS AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE

line
jackson marker
THE JACKSON TRAIL (location map)

Location:C.R. 351, 2.4 mi. north of Horseshoe Beach

County: Dixie

City: Cross City

Inscription

Captain Francis Langhorne Dade, U.S. Army and his 120-man Companies A,B,D,H and N, built Fort Duval in November 1826 at the mouth of the Suwannee River. The structure was 140 by 130 feet and six feet high with portholes for firing. The fort was named for territorial governor William Pope Duval. Fort Duval was built to guard the mouth of the Suwannee River. Indians used the river for many years, traveling to Cuba, the Bahama Islands and other places to trade and purchase goods. William Bartram witnessed this in his travels in 1774 while visiting the Indians up river from its mouth. In April 1818, General Andrew Jackson used the river to transport his wounded back to St. Marks after his Battle for Billy Bowleg’s Old Town, located on the Suwannee River. Fort Duval was destroyed by May 15, 1841. At that time, Capt. Cambell Graham wrote of Lt. Palmer’s survey of the mouth of the Suwannee River in search of the remains of Fort Duval. Time and tide have destroyed all traces of Fort Duval. The Suwannee River now carries fishing enthusiasts and sportsmen.

Description

On December 26, 1817, U.S. Secretary of War John C. Calhoun directed General Andrew Jackson to protect citizens trying to settle in Florida. Jackson arrived in Florida with the largest army ever to invade the state to date – 2,000 Creek Warriors and 1,000 Georgia and Tennessee militiamen. After leaving Nashville, Tennessee, they traveled through Georgia and on to Florida, winding up in Suwannee-Old Town (now Dixie County). Jackson’s goal was to remove the Indians, destroy their homes and confiscate their horses, cattle and food and slaves. In four days he had killed or driven off all Indians and escaped slaves. Near this spot, in April 1818, while on a “seek and find” mission, Jackson and his army captured Indian traders Robert Armbrister and Alexander Arbuthnot. They were British subjects who were supposed to be protected by a truce between England and the United States. Jackson had Arbuthnot hanged and Armbrister shot, which almost caused a war between the two countries. The Jackson Trail ran alongside Highway 19, branching south to the Coast on the west side of what is now the Horseshoe Beach Road (Highway 351).

Directions

29° 19.624' N, 83° 9.023' W. Marker is in Suwannee, Florida, in Dixie County. Marker can be reached from County Route 349 just east of Canal Street(Southeast 199th Street). To reach the marker you must turn left down a driveway just before reaching Canal Street(SE 199th Street). Marker is at or near this postal address: 23465 SE 349 Hwy, Suwannee FL 32692, United States of America.

Sponsors: DIXIE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

line
triumph church marker
TRIUMPH THE CHURCH AND THE KINGDOM OF GOD IN CHRIST (location map)

Location:166 NE 106 Street

County: Dixie

City: Cross City

Inscription

This church, built in 1929, was originally a wood-framed structure and the first church erected in the African-American community of Cross City. The architectural character was retained when it was remodeled and enlarged in 1942. The hand-made masonry blocks were fashioned under the direction of Prince Robert C. Glanton (1892-1965). He was the church’s Shepherd and presiding elder until he was promoted to District Bishop in 1957. Cross City’s first voter registration for blacks was held in this church. The church is part of a national system of churches founded in 1902 by Father Elias Dempsey Smith and is represented in 36 of the United States and Monrovia, Liberia. It was chartered in Washington, D.C. in 1918, and is in the hall of records. In addition to worship and praise services, the church provides charity, summer enrichment classes, youth development training, and many other activities that enhance the spiritual, physical, and moral development of the community.

Directions

29° 38.277' N, 83° 7.707' W. Marker is in Cross City, Florida, in Dixie County. Memorial is at the intersection of Northeast 106th Street and Northeast 216th Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Northeast 106th Street. NE 106th St was formerly known as Oliver Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 166 Northeast 106th Street, Cross City FL 32628, United States of America.

Sponsors: TRIUMPH THE CHURCH AND THE KINGDOM OF GOD IN CHRIST AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE

line

Back to Dixie County Links Page

Help Us

We are looking for historical photos, articles, documents, letters, etc., related to Dixie county or any of the towns within the county. Please use the contact info to reach us. Thank you!
Dixie County Historical Society
761 SE Highway 349
Old Town, FL  32680
Phone: (352) 542-0047
E-mail: Contact Us!